Ignite 150 will turbo-charge Ottawa in 2017
Call for events that celebrate our creative genius, passion, quirkiness, and offbeat sense of humour
Ottawa – The Ottawa 2017 Bureau and Mayor Jim Watson, in collaboration with lead partner CIBC, announced today that the search is on for unique, spectacular and ephemeral events to be presented in surprising and unusual locations across Ottawa in 2017.
Ignite 150 will be a series of 17 epic stunts and gatherings that will turbo-charge every corner of the capital from January to December in 2017.
“We’re planning 12 months of bold and immersive experiences that reflect who we are as Canadians and uplift the hearts and souls of participants,” said Mayor Watson. “In 2017, residents and visitors from all over Canada and the world will experience Ottawa like never before and celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday like nowhere else.”
The party planners for Canada’s sesquicentennial celebrations in the capital have a handful of eclectic activities planned themselves, and are calling on event producers to add a dozen more diverse and spectacular experiences to the list.
“Together, Ottawa 2017 and CIBC will create new and exciting events that will ignite the pride of Canadians and captivate the imagination of the millions of visitors to our nation’s capital next year,” said Monique Giroux, Vice-President, Sponsorship Marketing & Strategic Partnerships, CIBC. “We invite event producers to join us in offering experiences that will inspire participants and bring people together in delightfully unexpected ways.”
Some examples of Ignite 150 experiences that will stretch expectations:
- a gourmet dinner prepared by a top chef served overlooking the capital from 180 feet in the sky;
- a sunset yoga session on a barge floating down a local waterway accompanied by a live orchestra;
- a swanky movie projection on a downtown terrace rooftop;
- a special enlightenment kit, with hundreds of illuminated elements, secretly deployed in beautiful public venues, surprising passersby and allowing them to re-discover those spaces in a magical and mesmerizing way, before *poof* disappearing again.
“Ignite 150 will use innovation and surprise to elicit an emotional connection with participants and create cherished, unforgettable moments for them,” said Guy Laflamme, Executive Director of the Ottawa 2017 Bureau. “These unique events, held in scenic, lesser-known locations, will present a very vibrant and dynamic image of Ottawa, changing the perception of our city and opening minds to the world of possibilities before us.”
Ignite 150 events will create breathtaking visuals that will be shared around the globe on social media and generate international media coverage.
At a glance:
- Application deadline: Thursday, April 28, 2016 @ 4 p.m. EST;
- Ignite 150’s total budget is $250,000;
- Projects will be funded at a minimum of $5,000 and up to a maximum of $25,000 each;
- Events could be ticketed with applicable admission fees sold through Ottawa 2017’s distribution network;
- All activities must take place within the geographic boundaries of the City of Ottawa, and should showcase non-traditional venues, enhancing the element of surprise for participants;
- Events should be turn-key and must occur between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017;
- Projects should be bold, creative, innovative and engaging, providing a unique emotional experience for participants.
For full details on the call for Ignite 150 projects, please visit: www.ottawa2017.ca/get-involved.
Canada’s 150th celebrations will offer Canadians and visitors from around the world an exceptional and memorable year of high-caliber experiences while bringing a record number of visitors to Ottawa in 2017 to celebrate this important milestone for our country.
Photos for media use, courtesy Ottawa 2017: http://ow.ly/WntCV
Video for media use, courtesy Ottawa 2017: https://vimeo.com/155548106